Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Tea Time Just Got More Delicious At My House


Delicious Tea Time Sugar Cookies just out of my oven. A few weeks ago I took  leap of faith and ordered a rolling pin from Etsy I had shared here. Every year I host a cookie exchange party at my place and I wanted to do a special cookie this year and once I saw this rolling pin I knew I wanted to make these. I will likely make these every year and I do believe I will order more of these rolling pins in the future.


Making rolled sugar cookies is labor intensive, truth be told these were pretty easy to make, as I am not icing them (though for my party I am thinking of half dipping them in chocolate). If you can roll out dough, you can make these cookies. The trick is the right consistency of the dough, work in small batches and use parchment paper.

 I started with my favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe, you can use your own but this is mine.

Karen's Sugar Cookies
Pre heat the oven to 350
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup margarine
1 egg
3 tbsp cream
2 tsp Vanilla
4 cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Cream your sugar, butter and egg. Add your cream and vanilla. Beat in your flour, baking powder and the salt. You want the dough to form a ball and not stick to the sides of the bowl. If it does add 1/2 cup more flour. 1/4 of a cup at a time.
I form my ball of dough and then I place it between too sheets of parchment paper and I press it down 1/2 inch thick. Leaving it covered and usually on a cookie sheet or cutting board place it in the fridge. You can do this 24 hours or 2 it really is up to you. The dough is easier to work with when it is cold.
I find it much easier to do these types of cookies in small batches. So I took about 1/8th of the dough and placed it between two more pieces of parchment. I then used my regular rolling pin (I swear by this one my mother in law bought me years ago) and I roll out the dough 1/2 or 1/4 of an inch depending on what you like of an inch thick. I do this with the parchment on top, I find it is way less messy. You can do it anyway you feel comfortable.
This is a very important step if you are using a rolling pin like these. You must generously flour your pin. I do not use the handles as I can not get an even enough pattern. I place both my hands on the rolling pin for even pattern distribution. If you find that your dough is sticking to your embossing pin, add more flour and re roll your dough with the regular rolling pin, re flour your embossing pin and try again.
Then choose a cookie cutter the shape you would like to use. I chose a round fluted edge cutter that I felt was the right size for tea! Simply cut out your shapes. I would use the best parts of your rolled out dough. I cut about 6 cookies at time, re rolled, adding more dough as I went until all the dough was used. I am really thrilled with how they turned out.
I baked mine until they were golden brown at 350 for about 12 mins. Every oven is different, you can also enjoy these much lighter but I love them a bit darker.
I ordered my rolling pin from Valek Rolling Pin's Etsy Shop  with shipping it cost $46.87 US. I feel it was worth every penny. I will be looking to order more in the new year and I know I am going to enjoy using this one year round!

Thank you for joining me for a cup of tea and a cozy mystery. I am off to finish Shenanigans In The Shadows, A cozy short story by Kari Lee Townsend. I look forward to sharing the review with you soon.
I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment