Saturday, February 1, 2020

St. Brigid's Day / Imbolc


Today is the Celtic celebration of Imbolc also known as St. Brigid's day. Along with the reed crosses, effigies of the Goddess are also made. in preparation and often a the night before,  then displayed to not only honor the Goddess but also to bring luck to the home, health and protect from fire. I made my Goddess Brideogs ( from a piece of drift wood I picked up along the shores of Ambleside beach this past summer, along with two types of red yarn, fabric and notions I picked up at the dollar store craft section. Her face is made from a polymer clay mold I have and sculpey clay. I did not paint her face but may still. 


Making a Spirit doll or a Brigeogs was a really relaxing experience for me. I love the creativity and freedom in drapping the fabric and gluing it in place around the drift wood stick. The yarn I cut in long strips felt soft and comforting as I pulled it to length, cut, tied it and then glued it into place. I used some shamrock beads around her neck and cloak.
I started to make these types of dolls in August, after I took a class. Each one I make has been such a joy to make.
I hope you enjoy your Saturday, Imbolic, St. Brigid's day. Thank you for joining me for a cup of tea and a look at one of my Spirit Doll Creations.  I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment