Saturday, June 27, 2020

A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan

Earlier this week the tea shop I used to work at pre covid-19 re opened without me. While the parting has been a bit of a sad one, It did mean that the mail that had been stopped do to the shop shutting down, made its way to me. Among the packages was the book A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan, which was a birthday gift sent to me by my friend Lin.  From the moment I held this book in my hands I was sure it was going to be a special one. Once I started it I hated to put it down. Reading well into the morning hours, far past my bedtime, page after page, devouring a story that I felt so strongly contacted too, one I craved to know more about. This is a book of historical fiction, or at least that is what the author claims, but with such realistic and relatable characters, vivid settings and events that make you feel like you are a part of the story not just reading it, this was a truly special book.

It follows the lives of the Orchard sisters, from the time of their powerful and great Grand-mere Ursule and the five generations that follow from the early 1800's to post world war 2. It is rich in content, vivid in imagination and a book I never wanted to end.
This book came out in 2017 and was the perfect book for me during this covid-19 times. It touches on the hardships we all face in circumstances we cannot control and is a true story of survival, perseverance and hope.  I absolutely loved it.



A sweeping historical saga that traces five generations of fiercely powerful mothers and daughters -- witches whose magical inheritance is both a dangerous threat and an extraordinary gift.
Brittany, 1821. After Grand-mère Ursule gives her life to save her family, their magic seems to die with her.
Even so, the Orchires fight to keep the old ways alive, practicing half-remembered spells and arcane rites in hopes of a revival. And when their youngest daughter comes of age, magic flows anew.
The lineage continues, though new generations struggle not only to master their power, but also to keep it hidden.
But when World War II looms on the horizon, magic is needed more urgently than ever - not for simple potions or visions, but to change the entire course of history.


You can find it on Amazon ( I am not an affiliate) by clicking here. 

I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment