Monday, June 29, 2020

Cherry Cobbler From Back Yard to Table

For the last week I have been watching the tree in the yard produce the most plump, sour cherries and I simply could not resist picking a few from the yard to make some Cherry Cobbler for my afternoon tea. It is recipes like this one that make me miss my dad so very much, I know he would have loved this in his hay day. The tart cherries, made the most delicious cobbler and while I could not share it with him, I did take one of the pans to my upstairs neighbor.
I harvested only the ripe ones and only about 1/3 of the tree. I washed &pulled out the pits, and then made a simple syrup with water and sugar, and placed the cherries in the pan to boil and reduce in the syrup for about 5 mins.

I assembled the other ingredients and in under an hour, the most fragrant and bubbly cherry goodness came out of my oven, mind the mess I think tomorrow will be the clean out the oven day...

Here is the recipe if you would like to try to make your own. It can also be easily done with a tin of fruit.


Fruit Cobbler
Preheat the oven to 350
1/2 cup of butter
1 cup of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of milk
1 tablespoon of Vanilla Extract
1 1/4 tsp of baking powder
1 can of fruit or Two cups of fresh fruit brought to a boil in one cup of simple syrup

In your baking dish melt the butter. While it is melting place your flour, sugar and baking powder in a medium sized bowl and mix well. Add your vanilla to your milk and add that to the flour mixture stir until incorporated and pour the batter into the pan over the melted butter. Top with the fruit in the syrup if you are using fresh, or the entire can including the juice over the cake mixture. DO NOT STIR.
Place in the oven and bake for about 50 mins or until golden brown and butter bubbling. Serve it with ice cream if you wish, whip cream or on it's own.
Thank you for joining me for a tea time recipe today. I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Your recipes and books are super nice! The pictures you provide over your posts are pleasing and beautiful. Very warm and fall like. Tea time with a good book and its reviews is always a good way to spend your day and you're doing a great thing there with that, along with your recipes. Those recipes outcomes are great looking and delicious! Good luck and have fun this fall with good read, a good recipe for a great dessert, and a hot cup of tea!
    Sincerely,
    Vanessa :)

    ReplyDelete