Tuesday, December 19, 2017

It is not Christmas until I have heard Dave Cooks The Turkey by Stuart Mclean...



Well it is very close to Christmas and this incredibly busy season for me is not complete without listening to Canadian Author Stuart Mclean telling the "Dave Cooks The Turkey" story.


Years ago I was introduced to the iconic voice and heartwarming stories written by Stuart Mclean one of Canada's most iconic voices and brilliant authors. While I listened to Dave Cooks The Turkey, I found myself laughing, crying and totally relating to the story that rolled off Stuart's tongue.

Years before my brother in law had also discovered Stuart's writing and had begun buying my mom his books each year at Christmas, I quickly borrowed and devoured them. I learned that Stuart had a program on CBC and I would listen, laying back on the couch with headphones on and laugh and smile until my face hurt.

I saw Stuart Mclean in 2008 with my friend and in 2010 I bought my mother tickets to the Christmas concert so she and I could hear him together, I gave them to her in August for her birthday, she was as excited as I was.

My mother died a month and a day later, so she did not come with me and I took the friend who had introduced me in the first place to Stuart Mclean, it was hard and yet healing to sit and listen to Stuart in person. I cried and I laughed and I cried some more. 

That Christmas as very hard. I won't lie, I did not want to have Christmas at all, I was mad and slammed doors and willed the day to be over. 

I did however make time to listen to Dave Cooks The Turkey and several other stories by Stuart Mclean on the CD I had and found it so helpful, in that very difficult time.

Stuart died in February of this year from a Cancer we were all sure he would beat. I was devastated. Grateful and sad and this year as it is the first year without Stuart, so a bit painful too.

I never knew Stuart Mclean personally, never got a chance to thank him or tell him how much I came to appreciate his work, so I am telling you.

For me it simply is not Christmas until I have heard Dave Cooks The Turkey and thanks to modern magic you can listen to Stuart tell this amazing story on a podcast by clicking here. I truly hope you do, it is worth the time, the laughters and the tears. 

Thank you Stuart, Thank you Vinyl Cafe, for making a great Christmas story for us grown ups.
 Thank you for joining me here for a cup of tea and a Christmas memory. I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment