Tuesday, March 15, 2016

A Tea Time Craft, Short On Candles? Make Your Own Shortening Candles Like I Did.

March has come in like a Lion for sure here in Vancouver BC and this weekend alone we were hit with three different storm fronts. I use candles all the time and with the storm approaching I thought it may be fun to try my hand at making some of my own. The one in the photo above is one that I made.
I saw a tutorial around Christmas time on how to make your own candles using vegetable shortening and thought I would give it a go. I am really pleased with how it turned out. I made 5 candles 4 in jars and the left over in a votive vase I had.
To make mine I used:
2 cups of Crisco vegetable shorting
Votive Wick's I bought at Micheal's (6 in a package)
Lavender, Orange and Ylang Ylang Essential Oil 
* I should have used some wax to hold the wicks in place but I did not so I used pencils to hold them while they set.
Step 1- I placed 2 cups of vegetable shortening in a microwave safe measuring cup with a spout. I then placed it in the microwave and melted it over 3 minutes, 1 minute at a time. 
Step 2- I added 15 drops of lavender, 10 of orange and then 5 of ylang-ylang and used a wire wisk to combine, you can add more less or none.
Step 3- I used more shortening to hold the wicks in place of my small mason jars, however when the warm liquid hit them they melted the shortening and slid out of place. I used pens to hold the wicks into place. 

Step 4- Allow the jars to set. I placed two in the freezer and left the other two jars and the votive to set on the table. With in about 30 mins the table ones were beginning to set and the ones in the freezer were totally set.  I lit the votive one right away and am thrilled with how long it is lasting. Three days now as of this post. 
I think next batch I do I will add more scent and even some loose leaf tea. I am very pleased with how this has turned out. These would make lovely gifts and are perfect for an emergency kit too!
Thank you for joining me for a cup of tea and a tea time craft. I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment