Monday, December 28, 2015

The Season Of Eating Must Come To An End And The Return Of The Postman Is Very Important!


This season of eating must come to an end, that and the return of the postman so I can have something tangible and in paper to read. It is not that I do not love baking, cooking and eating but it is 9 am and I have been up for about 20 mins now and I am ready to attack a box of chocolates now that my toast is done. I am terrified of the scale in my room and the pants that have just come out of the dryer...but alas I have made some wonderful things this season. I was reading about Fran Stewart's new Scotshop Mystery A Wee Dose of Death out in January on Lisa K's Book Reviews on the very day I was making these Scotch Eggs! I quickly ordered it from The Book Depository and anxiously now await it's arrival with the post man!
My husband sent me an email from our local meat shop with the recipe and it had been years since I had one so we agreed I would make them for Christmas Eve Appetizers. Here is the recipe:

  •  Prep: 10 Mins
  •  Cook: 40 Minutes
  •  Portions: 6

INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED

  • 6 Free Range Eggs in their shells
  • 1 Free Range Eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 lb. ground pork sausage meat
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. Mustard
  • 2 tsp. Cornstarch
  • 1/4 tsp. Ground mace
  • 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
  • 2 thyme sprigs, finely chopped
  • Canola oil, for frying
  • 1/4 cup Milk
  • 1/4 Cup flour
  • 2 cups bread crumbs
  • Salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

  1. Place 6 eggs in a saucepan and cover with 1" of cold water
  2. Place over high heat and bring to a boil, boil for 10 minutes; cover, remove from heat, and let sit for 6 minutes
  3. Drain eggs from water and transfer to an ice bath, allowing to cool for 5 minutes
  4. Drain eggs from ice bath, peel, and discard shells
  5. Combine sausage meat, Worcestershire, mustard, cornstarch, mace, sage, and thyme in a bowl
  6. Season with salt and pepper and mix until evenly combined
  7. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions and form each portion around each cooked egg to cover completely
  8. Place on a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes
  9. Pour oil into a dutch over and heat over medium-high heat
  10. Heat until a deep fry thermometer reads 350 degrees
  11. Combine beaten egg with milk in a bowl
  12. Place flour and bread crumbs in a separate bowl
  13. Working in batches, coat each meat-covered egg in flour, shaking of excess, and then dip in milk mixture to coat
  14. Dredge in bread crumbs, and then fry until golden brown and meat is cooked through, about 7 minutes
  15. Transfer to paper towels to drain briefly, and let cool for 10 minutes before serving
I serve mine with HP Sauce (A1 would work for my American Friends) 

Click here for the link to the original recipe I have copied and pasted above from Meridian Meat Shops, The only place we buy our meats!  The photos are mine but the recipe is theirs!
To order your own copy of A Wee Dose of Death please click here
Thank you for joining me for A Cup of tea and A Cozy Recipe today! Let me know if you give these a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment