Thursday, May 5, 2016

A Cup of Tea And A Visit With Heather Blake


Today I am thrilled to have Heather Blake join us for a cup of tea and a chat about her new book Gone With The Witch and her Wish Craft Mystery series, 






KMOT: When you are writing is it Coffee/Tea or something else that fuels you? (I am pretty sure it is coffee from your posts but feel free to prove me wrong!)

HB:It’s hard to believe that I started drinking coffee only seven years or so ago! Up until then, I despised the taste. I start every day with a morning cup of coffee (or two). In the afternoon, I tend to drink Dr Pepper (I’ve been trying to give it up for about a decade now!) or another cup of coffee or tea. Lots of water in between. If I’m up late on deadline, it’s always coffee keeping me awake.



KMOT:  Where did the idea for the Wishcraft series come from?

HB:The Wishcraft series actually started with an idea for a fairy godmother mysteries. It was a plot for a couple of sisters who move to a magical village and learn that they’re actually fairy godmothers who can grant wishes.

And while I loved that idea, it wasn’t working. The fairy godmothers just didn’t…fit. I, however, wasn’t ready to give up on them completely. A tweak here and a tweak there and my godmothers became...witches. More specifically, Wishcrafters—witches with the ability to grant wishes using a spell.

The funny thing is that I barely had to change anything with my proposal. It was as though my subconscious knew all along that the characters were witches, and was taunting me. I’d even had the book set in Salem, Massachusetts, already.


Sometimes the subconscious knows best.


  KMOT:  I really would love to move to the Enchanted Village, did you model the town after and existing village or is it purely made up?

HB: The village is purely fictional, and I’d love to move there as well. Its charm definitely outweighs its high crime rate. I grew up just south of Boston, and one constant in almost every New England town is some sort of town center with a common green area—usually with a gazebo or bandstand. Some greens are bigger and/or fancier than others, but to me seeing one always signals “home,” so I knew the Enchanted Village definitely had to have a green space at its center. It’s the heart of the town.


KMOT:  Each and every character is so amazing in this series, can you tell me if given a chance to write a spin off series based on any of the charters in the series who do you think could hold his or her own? ( I have think there is more than one but I would love to hear what you think) 

HB: I think there could be a ton of spin-offs, and how fun would that be? Evan deserves his own series for sure. Starla. Godfrey. Cherise. Andreus. Glinda. Archie, of course. Really, any of them.


KMOT: What would you like my readers to know about Darcy that they may not already?

This is a tough question, because if you’ve read the series, then you know Darcy is pretty open with her quirks, strengths, and flaws. She’s tender but tough, and has a heart of gold. She has a strong sense of justice and tries to right all wrongs, though sometimes things don’t go as she plans (which drives her crazy). Although she adores most everything magical, she’s a simple witch who knows that family, friends, and love is the true magic in her world. She never, ever takes that for granted.
Thank you Heather for joining us today. Wishcraft Mystery Lovers will be also thrilled to know that The Witch and The Dead comes out this coming October and you can pre order it with out the shipping costs from The Book Depository by clicking here. Or on Amazon by clicking here.


She also has a wonderful paranormal romance series I know you will love and a great gardening series too! Click here for her Heather Webber series website.
Thank you for joining us for a cup of tea and a cozy mystery. I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

3 comments:

  1. I adore all your pictures, Karen! Thanks so much for the wonderful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I love this series so much. I want to move to the Enchanted Village, even though the murder rate there has been climbing. I would take my chances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview and sounds like a great book and series. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete