Monday, July 13, 2015

Peach Tea Jelly Attempt #1 and Recipe

So I tried to make Tea Jelly for the first time yesterday and here is the recipe and this is how I did it.

Ingredients:

8 tsp peach black tea ( I used Fuzzy Peaches loose leaf black tea from Steeped)
1 3/4 cup boiling hot water
1/4 cup of peach juice
3 cups of sugar
1 pkg of powdered pectin

8- 125 ml jars with rings and lids

Method:
Prepare your glass jars as per the manufactures recommendation. Set them aside.

Jelly Mixture Method:
Into a glass measuring cup place your loose leaf tea and pour your boiling water over top. Allow the tea leaves to steep for 30 mins in the glass measuring cup.
Into a deep pot add 3 cups of sugar. Add 1/4 cup of juice to your steeped tea.

Using a strainer pour your tea liquid into your sugar and stir. Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a boil. Allow the mixture to boil for two minutes. (this mixture will come to a rolling boil and rise quite high so do not leave un attended.) add your package of pectin stir in and allow to boil for an additional minute.
 Pour equal amounts of jelly into your jars and cap and process them for 20 mins.

At the time of writing this post I have not yet seen the jelly set or opened it to have with scones but in the coming days it will set and if it does I will for sure make a batch of scones to try with it. I did taste it while it was in its liquid form and it was fantastic. I truly hope this recipe sets up. I was disappointed that the original recipe said it would make 4 1/2 pints I was only able to fill 8 125 ml jars (4 cups total liquid 1/2 cup in each jar) so I am hoping I did not do something wrong! My recipe was based on the recipe from food.com see the original recipe by clicking here.

Let me know if you make tea jelly and this is the case for you as well!
Thank you for joining me for a cup of tea and a cozy recipe today! As with all my posts I would love to hear from you so please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. I am hoping your jelly comes out okay. If not, then it can be topping for ice cream or cake!!! I have not been able to make any jelly for awhile now as I cannot stand due to my leg issues, but I keep thinking that I will someday make things like this again. I do a lot of cooking while sitting but this is one thing that you cannot do at your dining room table without a mess. I lo love scones, especially apricot scones. Good luck. Loved your Squirrel photos. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit worried as it looks like slightly thick juice and not what I had hoped but I know it will taste good!

      Delete