Thursday, November 19, 2015

What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up?

I saw something on Facebook today that I liked, and it made me think of my own boys and how we teach them about life. As well as something my niece said to me this summer.
This photo appeared on Facebook at I guess the right time and it caught my eye. I can remember from the time I entered preschool it was a constant question and each year demanded an answer. I actually love that my niece who is now 5 asked me this Summer what I wanted to be when I grew up. I just turned 40 last spring and her question made me smile. I told her I had not really figured all that out yet but I had some time. She said Aunty "I think you should have a tea shop and restaurant and sell tea, sandwiches and tiaras oh and books"  I thought this kid knows me well. I should do all those things but then that created a problem, knowing what you want to does not always mean it will happen overnight like magic.  I sure wish it did.
I wonder if I was asked what problems did I want to solve when I grew up vs what I wanted to be just how different life would have been and what it would have meant to me.

So her question has had me dreaming for I guess the last several months. I posted this photo and quote on social media the other day and it really ties in with the theme of today's post. I am 40 and I don't really know what I want to do when I grow up. I fancy myself a writer, a chef, a photographer, a tea enthusiast and about a half  a dozen other things, but ask me what problems I would like to solve and that is a whole other ball game.

Problems I would like to solve the list is long and somewhat ridiculous.
From the simple problem of where the heck are all my socks and spoons going, to world peace. My list is varied and shows my ADHD side. All that aside here is problems I work on everyday and take quite seriously.

Concurring my dyslexia: Every day I work on this and you may never know just how hard, or how long I work on this, chipping away at it day after day but I think I am getting somewhere with this problem. I retype almost every word and sentence I type. I read everyday now because I want to and not because I have to.  I like to write, I like to share and I love to read.



Anxiety: This is a common problem many people face, myself included. I would love to solve this problem once and for all. I try a everyday. I have learned that to help manage the anxiety and day to day stress in my life, I have to make time and take time for me. Even if it is just a few minutes each day (sometimes I take way more) I started forcing myself to do this daily a few years ago, and I take photos of those moments. I started doing this to hold myself accountable for making and taking the time and so many of you have commented on how much you enjoy it, that it was very easy for me to keep going. I light a candle, I make tea, I use the good china and it is just for me. It doesn't solve the worlds problems but it does keep mine at bay for a few minutes each day. That and I have a great husband, kids and cats as well as friends who keep me honest and busy.

Growing up I wanted to be a chef, a teacher and a mom...I have done all these things. And now I want to work on being a better writer and maybe having that tea shop, restaurant that somehow sells Tiaras. I know that the point of the question is to figure out away to make that happen, find out what I need to learn to be able to do that and I now it is time to work towards all these things. My 5 year old niece is pretty smart, she knows me very well.

Well I guess I best finish my tea and start figuring out how to make my plans a reality. Oh one one more thing I may not know what I want to be when I grow up but I do know when I do grow up I know exactly the car I want to own and drive to that tea shop, that sells books and tiaras, now if I could just save my money instead of spending it on books I might be able to afford one! Dreaming of my blue punch buggy and tea shop with each sip this morning, I thank you for joining me for a cup of tea and a cozy mystery.  I would love to hear what you want to be when you grow up. Please leave me a comment here or email me at karenmowen@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment